What to Expect With Your Physical Therapy Appointment
Musculoskeletal injuries can be debilitating. An orthopaedic injury can severely limit your range of motion and movement. This makes day to day tasks and activities we normally take for granted, such as walking or reaching, nearly impossible. If you have experienced orthopaedic injuries such as arthritis, tendon tears, bone fractures or inflammation, it’s time to make a physical therapy appointment with an orthopaedic specialist.
Your orthopaedic specialist will work with you to determine what method of treatment is best suited for your injury, health and lifestyle. Orthopaedic treatment options may include:
- Corticosteroid injections: To combat inflammation and reduce pain.
- Surgery: In severe cases.
- Physical therapy: You may be prescribed physical therapy as a part of surgery recovery or on it’s own to help strengthen parts of your body affected by your orthopaedic injury.
At MidAmerica Orthopaedics we take an integrative approach to treatment. Our industry topping orthopaedic doctors and surgeons work with a team of specialists to insure the timeliest and most effective treatment for their patients, whether surgical or non surgical. The team of specialists at MidAmerica Orthopaedics include a team of highly trained physical therapists, Anura Bandara, PT, COMT, Linda Griffis, PT, CMT, David Hughes PT, DPT, Rhonda Krisik, PTA and Elise Rohan, PT, DPT. The physical therapists at MidAmerica aim to restore their patients to maximum functional independence and to help them regain confidence in their body’s abilities.
Physical therapy provides preventative treatment, pain management, conditioning and exercises to perform at home to aid the healing process. Physical therapy is integral to a patient’s healing, and is a part of most patient’s treatment at MidAmerica.
What to Expect
Never had physical therapy before? Here’s what to expect at your first physical therapy appointment:
- Preparation: Before you arrive at the clinic make sure you are ready for treatment. Physical therapy involves exercising so be sure to dress comfortably. Also, be sure to plan ahead for soreness and tiredness after treatment by possibly asking a friend or family member to drive you to your appointment.
- Evaluation: At MidAmerica Orthopaedics any physical therapy you receive will be directed under the care of your orthopaedic doctor in conjunction with your certified physical therapist. Your therapist will be knowledgeable of your condition and will discuss treatment methods with you and your doctor. When you arrive for your appointment, your therapist will start by taking an evaluation. This may include tests of balance, range of motion and strength to help your therapist better understand your condition and how to reach your goals. It’s important to be honest about pain you experience during these sessions, as pushing too hard could set back your recovery.
- Discussion: After your evaluation your therapist will discuss your treatment plan with you. This plan will include information on exercises you will be performing, as well as frequency and duration of treatment. During this time be sure to discuss any questions or concerns you may have about treatment. Work to build a relationship with your physical therapist as your recovery may be an emotional and difficult time, they are there to support you.
To schedule a physical therapy appointment at MidAmerica Orthopedics call (708) 237-7200. You can also request an appointment online. MidAmerica Orthopaedics serves various areas such as Chicago, Tinley Park, Palos Hills, Mokena, Evergreen Park, New Lenox, Oak Lawn, Orland Park, and more.