5 Simple Ways to Protect Your Joints
Joint health is important at any age. Regular simple practices can help you avoid, delay, or relieve pain from painful joint conditions, such as arthritis. About 54 million adults have been diagnosed with arthritis. If you’re one of those people, check out these ways to alleviate or prevent joint pain.
- 1. Keep Moving: Regular movement can decrease stiffness, strengthen muscles around the joints, and reduce pain. Joint pain may make it tempting to stay still but it is healthier long-term to keep regular movement in your routine. It also transports nutrients and waste products to and from the cartilage, the material which protects and cushions joints. Add short walks and stretching throughout your day to keep joints healthy.
- 2. Try Low-Impact Exercises:
Explore new types of exercise that are less demanding on your body. Low-impact exercises put less pressure on joints while still strengthening your body. Consider aquatic exercises, walking, golfing, or cycling. Many gyms offer group fitness classes designed specifically for those with arthritis.
- 3. Maintain a Healthy Weight: Being overweight can put extra strain on joints and cause pain. Being underweight can mean that you aren’t getting all the nourishment you need for healthy joints. It’s a good idea to ask your doctor what is a healthy weight for your body and suggestions for safe ways to gain or lose weight.
- 4. Adjust Your Workspace:
Many people with desk jobs begin to experience joint pain due to sitting statically in unhealthy positions. If you sit at a desk for a large portion of your day, check your posture regularly and take a few minutes to stretch regularly. We recommend getting a chair with quality lumbar support. An office chair that is adjustable and offer lower back support can alleviate pain caused from slouching.
- 5. Adopt an Anti-Inflammatory Diet: Inflammation is a common cause for joint irritation and a symptom of arthritis. Add foods into your diet that are anti-inflammatory. Fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains and fish are all healthy options for a balanced diet. Look for foods that are rich in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, and avoid processed foods.
Treatment at MidAmerica Orthopaedics
Don’t let joint pain control your life. Visiting an orthopaedic specialist is an excellent idea if you experience joint pain or would like to discuss prevention tactics. MidAmerica Orthopaedics has multiple skilled specialists who help patients suffering from joint pain everyday.
Foot and Ankle Specialist, Svetlana Zats, is passionate about patient care. She provides comprehensive medical and surgical care for a wide variety of foot and ankle conditions including common to complex disorders and injuries that affect people of all ages.
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Dr. Bedikian, believes in doing all he can in the pursuit of returning his patients to a full, active lifestyle. He specializes in total joint replacements and plays an active role in his patients’ recovery and physical therapy plans.
Dr. Anton Fakhouri is our Hand and Upper Extremity Orthopaedic Specialist. He takes pride in educating students, resident doctors, and patients. Dr. Fakhouri aims to create a partnership between doctor and patient to give skillful orthopedic care.
To learn more about MidAmerica Orthopaedics, our Foot and Ankle Clinic and Sports Medicine Clinic, and the different treatment options available to you, visit our website, or give us a call at (708) 237-7200. You can also request an appointment online. MidAmerica Orthopaedics serves various areas such as Chicago, Tinley Park, Palos Hills, Mokena, Evergreen Park, New Lenox, Oak Lawn, Orland Park and more.