Hand and Upper Extremity Specialist
Dr. Patel is a plastic surgeon whose practice focuses on treating conditions of the hand and wrist as well as reconstructive microsurgery. He has completed a fellowship in Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery and also has further sub-specialized in Hand & Microsurgery at the Hand Center of San Antonio.
This fellowship is considered to be one of the premiere fellowships in the country and it is also where he had the privilege of training with Dr. David P. Green, who is the author of the most widely read and known hand surgery textbook in the world, Green’s Operative Hand Surgery. With such a diverse educational background, Dr. Patel has learned from some of the most outstanding institutions in the country.
Dr. Patel employs minimally invasive surgical techniques and has a particular interest in endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery. He is attentive to his patients’ concerns and enables them to drive the treatment plan while guiding them with up to date research and techniques. Dr. Patel strongly believes in optimizing communication with the patients as well as their referring physicians in order to achieve an effective treatment plan.
Dr. Amit Patel was selected as a 2017/2018 Top Doctor in Palos Hills, IL by the International Association of HealthCare Professions (IAHCP).
At home, Dr. Patel loves to play with his children and spend time with his family. He is an avid traveler and is a diehard Chicago sports fan!
Board Certification / Licenses / Education
- Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Board Certified by the American Board of Surgery
- Licenses in State of Illinois & State of Texas
- The Hand Center of San Antonio (UTHSC-SA) Hand and Microsurgery Fellowship
- Rush University Medical Center (Chicago, IL) Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship
- GRMEP/Michigan State University (Grand Rapids, MI) - General Surgery Residency
- Medical School at Loyola University - Stritch School of Medicine (Chicago, IL)
- Undergraduate at Loyola University Chicago - Graduated with Summa Cum Laude: Highest Honors
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH) (Candidate Member)
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons (Candidate Member)
- American College of Surgeons
Clinical Interests and Procedures
- Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Surgery
- Cubital Tunnel Release Surgery
- Hand Fractures
- Wrist Fractures
- Distal Radius Fractures
- Scaphoid Fractures
- Tendon and Nerve Injury Reconstruction
- Thumb Basilar Joint Arthritis
- Finger Joint Arthritis
- Trigger Finger
- De Quervain's Tenosynovitis
- Golfer’s Elbow and Tennis Elbow
- Dupuytren’s Contracture
- Hand Tumors
- Ganglion Cysts
- Hand Reconstruction
- Management of hand burns
- Athletic injuries of the hand and wrist